▪ The secondary section is housed in a separate boys’ and girls’ section in distinct sectors on the campus. It provides for double streams in both sections from Grades 8 to 11 and for a single stream for boys only in Grade 12. Commencement of Grade 8 and 10 begins immediately from the beginning of the school year with enrolment being based as per the promotion policy.
▪ As from 2003, the Middle School, (Middle Basic Unit), has been established. The aim is to provide a smooth transition of learners from Grade 7 to the Junior Secondary level and ultimately to the Senior Secondary school. This unit is expected to provide a sound foundation for the Senior Secondary section.
1. Minimum Age on Entry
▪ On entry into Grade Eight, the learner should be at least twelve-and-a-half years of age, ( or of an appropriate age in the grade applied for).
▪ The secondary school starts at 07.30hrs, with a break period from 10.10hrs. to 10.30hrs, lunch from 12.30hrs. to 14.00hrs. and afternoon classes from 14.00hrs. to 16.00hrs. On Fridays', school is in the morning only till 11.50hrs.
▪ Muslim girls receive their Islamiyaat education during certain periods, while their non-Muslim counterparts are offered either Art or Literature.
▪ Muslim boys doing the Hifz programme, (memorising of the Holy Qur'aan), are exempted from afternoon school as they have this Hifz programme at Maderessa. Subsequently, the school's afternoon time-table for the secondary boys is scheduled in such a manner so as to minimise the loss incurred by the Hifz boys due their absence in the afternoon.
▪ Muslim boys also receive their Islamiyaat education during certain periods, while their non-Muslim counterparts are offered Art, Literature or Moral Education.
▪ See "School Uniform"
▪ Children are encouraged to bring wholesome and nutritious foods/snacks for consumption at break time, (and lunchtime if they are staying over at school in preparation for the afternoon session). "Junk" foods and caries-causing foods are discouraged.
▪ This is the responsibility of the parent for all the learners of the secondary section. A comprehensive list is given at the open day of each last term. Parents of new entrants should enquire for the same from the respective Head Teacher.
6. Class Staffing
▪ A grade teacher is allocated for Grades 8 to 11/12. Wherever possible, the boys are taught by male teachers and the girls by female teachers. Each of the subject speciality is taught by a specialist who may or may not necessarily be the grade teacher.
7. Class Structure
▪ In all the grades in this section of the school the genders are strictly separated, (and housed), in different buildings of the school premises, each gender having its own facility in most of the disciplines. Currently, the computer laboratory, the art room and the multi-media centre are shared between the genders. However, with the envisaged expansion of the school, it is hoped that ALL the facilities will be strictly separated and be gender-specific.
▪ Classes are of a mixed ability with an average enrolment of 25-30 learners.