PROCEDURES FOR SELECTING PREFECTS - PRIMARY AND SECONDARY
▪ The teachers choose a maximum of 15 boys and 15 girls from Grades 5 & 6 who they feel have exhibited certain qualities since entering primary school.
▪ The qualities looked for are ability to influence and control fellow learners; an upstanding moral and character upon which fellow learners can look to as role models; maturity in balancing one's role as a prefect and as an ordinary learner, etc.
▪ A selecting panel, (made up of the grade teachers of the concerned classes together with the teacher in charge of prefects), interviews the 30 prospective candidates from which only 24 are chosen i.e. 12 boys and 12 girls.
▪ This list of 24 selected learners is then forwarded to the respective Head Teacher for his final approval.
▪ From each gender group one learner is chosen by the prefects as their Head Prefect and Deputy Head Prefect, both of whom should be Muslims.
▪ The prefects thus selected then hold office for one year commencing from the beginning of Term Three of the current year till the end of Term Two of the following year.
▪ Prefects enforce school rules and are expected to be respected and obeyed by each learner at all times.
▪ A similar selection process also takes place from learners of Grades 9 and 10 with the final number selected being 30, i.e. 15 boys and 15 girls.